Wireless Access Policy
Wireless Internet access (Wi-Fi) is provided free of charge by the Kent Public Library for patrons who have the required hardware and software needed for this service. Use of this service is governed by the Kent Public Library’s Computer and Internet Policy.
Use of the Kent Public Library’s Wi-Fi service is your agreement with the terms and conditions of this policy:
1. Wi-Fi access is provided as a free public service on an “as is” basis with no guarantee of service.
2. Wi-Fi access is provided during library hours and only within the building.
3. Users are responsible for setting up their equipment to access the Kent Public Library’s Wi-Fi network. Library staff can provide general information and handouts to help you connect to the Wi-Fi network. Library staff will not provide technical assistance and will not assume any responsibility for personal hardware configuration, security or changes to data files resulting form connection to the library’s Wi-Fi network. It is recommended that users make a backup copy of any settings changed before configuring their equipment for use on the library’s Wi-Fi network.
4. All Wi-Fi users should have up-to-date antivirus software installed on their computers.
5. As with most public Wi-Fi networks, the Kent Public Library’s wireless network is not secure. Any information transmitted (including credit card numbers, passwords, and other sensitive information) could potentially be intercepted by another computer user.
6. The library’s Wi-Fi network is subject to periodic maintenance and unforeseen downtime.
7. The library assumes no responsibility for damage to or loss of equipment; users must keep their equipment with them at all times.
8. Printing access is not available via the Wi-Fi network. If the user desires to print, the file can be saved to a flash/thumb drive or emailed to themselves and printed from a public computer in the Computer Room for a nominal fee per page ($.10 b/w; $.25 color).
9. Any attempt to circumvent library procedures or any unauthorized attempt to access or manipulate library equipment will result in permanent disconnection for the library’s Wi-Fi network.
Approved by the Kent Library board on September 16, 2009
Review Cycle: 2 years